Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Science Fiction

For October, I tackled Science Fiction, definitely not my first choice of genres. I chose to read a "classic" hoping that the lasting appeal of the story would be reflected in the writing, etc. I listened to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

It was not bad. Some of the reviews of this book call it hysterically funny. I found it amusing and often ironic, but it didn't make me fall over laughing. I enjoyed the exploits of Earthman Arthur Dent as first his house, and the the whole Earth, are destroyed in the name of more efficient transport routes. The characters are fun and I loved the idea of the travel guide.

I went into the book saying that I wasn't going to go on to the rest of the series. But I may, one day, when I have nothing else to read.

There's enough scifi/techie stuff in here to appeal to the traditional reader, but the humor and fun make it also appealing to the rest of us.

No comments: